Advocates for Justice and Education – Parent Support Specialist www.aje-dc.org
Advocates for Justice and Education, the District of Columbia’s Parent Training and Information Center (PTI), seeks to empower families, youth, and the community to be effective advocates to ensure that children and youth, particularly those who have special needs, receive access to appropriate education and health services. As parent support specialist, the duties include using my personal experience and expertise to support families.
Georgetown University Center for Child and Human Development www.gucchd.georgetown.edu
The Georgetown University Center for Child and Human Development (GUCCHD), strive to foster a stronger society by promoting the wellbeing of ALL children, adults and families and creating more inclusive communities. We work together to:
- Advance collective solutions.
- Bridge the campus to the community.
- Build strong and diverse partnerships.
- Broadly share our extensive expertise with empathy and dedication.
Special Olympics DC – Young Athletes Program Consultation www.specialolympicsdc.org
Young Athletes is a sport and play program for children with and without intellectual and closely related developmental disabilities (I/DD), ages 2-7 years enrolled in an early learning program. YAP introduces basic sports skills like running, kicking and throwing, and includes active games, songs and other play activities that provide these benefits:
- Children learn how to play with others and develop social emotional learning skills
- Children of all abilities participate together, creating a climate of inclusion
- After two months in the program, children with I/DD experience a seven-month gain in motor skills*
(*2011 University of Massachusetts Boston Study- Young Athletes Intervention: Impact of Motor Development)
Special Olympics DC offers these festivals several times during the year at no cost to the families that participate. Beyond this, we also want to create more programming to engage more families via the Early Childhood and Elementary Leadership Committee (ECELC) to learn more about how to best serve the community as YAP continues to grow and expand.